SUMMARY: replacing packaged products (ADDENDUM)

From: Thomas.Meyer <meyert_at_dla-marbach.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 97 16:45:12 +0200

After sending a summary, I received two further mails with interesting additional information:

1st, Ian Mortimer <mortimer_at_physics.uq.edu.au> wrote

> Still, the Update Installer doesn't protect a customized sendmail version, only
> its configuration files would be saved as Unprotected Customized Files.

I didn't reply to your original question because I'm not sufficiently
expert to give a definitive answer but I know that this comment is
wrong. At least it wasn't true for the update from 3.2 to 3.2c.

We recently updated from 3.2 to 3.2c and our customized version
of sendmail (version 8.8.5) was protected by being saved as
mailq.PreUPD. As I'm sure you know mailq, newaliases, sendmail
and smtpd are all just links and the update installer protected the
first link: mailq. All we had to do was restore the links to get
back our customized sendmail.

Cheers
Ian

2nd, James Sainsbury <sainsb_j_at_chem.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

I missed your original posting but one way I used to get around this
was to kit the BSD sendmail and setld it after an upgrade.

Where I was we went through a cycle of upgrading from 3.2 4.0 4.0a
and sendmail 8.7.x was being patched every other day. So I bit the
bullet and read the documentation on building KITs (its quite straight
forward really). I ended up kitting a number of packages such as
tcpwrappers, identd, sendmail, secure shell, wrappered portmapper which
I could just install after an upgrade or initial install.

RGDS

<end of quote>

Building KITs seems to be a particularly interesting idea to me, because it possibly faciliates the administration of a lot of self installed packages. I'll consider introducing it as soon as I've enough time.

:->

Regards,

        Thomas Meyer, EDV-Systemadministrator
          email: Thomas.Meyer_at_dla-marbach.de
          smail: Deutsches Literaturarchiv Marbach
                 Schillerhoehe 8-10
                 D-71672 Marbach
        Telefon: +49-7144-848-141
            Fax: ...-387