DNS setup error

From: sherif <sherif_at_gse.ie-eg.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 15:44:30 +0200

HI there,
we are trying to setup an alpha server 2100 with digital unix 3.2 as a
primary DNS.The problem that after i did the bindsetup i run the make
command from the directory /etc/namedb to update the data base , i
receive this error "cannot find /var/run/named.pid" to restart named"
And i checked this file and i didn't find it, does any one have seen
this problem before? , what can we do about that?
Sherif