SUMMARY: Understanding memory fault

From: Claudio Strizzolo <Claudio.Strizzolo_at_trieste.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 10:22:51 +0200 (CET-DST)

Many people replied to my request about a memory problem I experienced while
running a program (original message is appended at the bottom).
I thank all of them (in particular olle_at_cb.uu.se, oberman_at_es.net, lbro_at_dscc.dk,
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com, and hope not to have forgotten anyone!).
Almost all of them suggested two solutions:

1. Raise swap space (no success: I told you the swap space was huge and
   unused!)
2. Give a look at the process "limits"

I gave a look at the limits using the "limit" command, and then tried
different combinations of raising/reducing meaningful ones by using both
the limit command with different values and the unlimit command to set
to maximum allowed values. Someone suggested playing with datasize, others
with stacksize, others with memoryuse limit.
At the end, what really solved the problem was this:

        # limit datasize 1000M

At the beginning I had the default values for the limits, if that matters.

Just to summarize all the suggested solutions: if playing with process
limit had no success due to low maximum values allowed, I was suggested to
change some kernel values, rebuild kernel and reboot the system. This allows
to raise the maximum values for the above limits, making you able to raise the
values with the limit or unlimit command to higher values. The
parameters to change are maxdsiz (which affects maximum allowed datasize value)
and maxssiz (which affects maximum allowed stack size); in case you need, you
have to set them into /sys/conf/MACHINENAME file.

        Claudio Strizzolo

Claudio STRIZZOLO | Address:
                                     | I.N.F.N. Sezione di Trieste
E-mail: strizzolo_at_trieste.infn.it | c/o AREA di Ricerca
Phone: [39](40)375.6257 | Padriciano, 99
Fax: [39](40)375.6258 | I-34012 Trieste