modify limit

From: System PRIVILEGED Account John Marten <root_at_tigger.oslc.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 10:37:57 -0700

hi all,
i have a c programmer who is trying to debug and run
a program that includes a matrix. the program runs
fine until it hits that matrix. he then gets a segmentation fault.
i noticed that on our old ultrix system when you type limit it lists
memoryuse unlimited. on our DU4.0b machine limit returns memoryuse 178256 kbytes.
i increased the stacksize by doing limit stacksize 4096 but all attemts
to increase memoryuse have failed. online documentation for limit and
ulimit (practically) useless. any suggestions gladly accepted.