query

From: Khaled Abu-Mallouh <khaled_at_just.edu.jo>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:48:08 +0200

Dear managers;

I faced a strange problem last week:

the passwd file was cut: I have 1800 users and after the problem only
1000+ were in the passwd file , the passwd file is protected and nobody
can access it other than myself and my partner.
it seems that the cut happened from the end of the file (last 800 entry)

please inform me on the possible cause of the problem if somebody faced
it before.
I had abackup and now I finished the problem but I want to know what
is the reason. ( other than that somebody ,could access it )
it doesn't seem like it was done on purbose by somebody)

thank you

my Email is khaled_at_just.edu.jo