Keyboard and mouse quit functioning, sialog quesiton

From: <systemjd_at_field.ntsc.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 1 May 97 11:14:39 EDT

Managers,

I've run into a problem with our AlphaServer 2100A 4/275 running Digital
Unix 4.0a. I haven't made any changes recently, and had to shut down
the system Friday due to a building wide power outage scheduled for
Saturday morning. I turned on the system, monitor, etc. Monday, checked
things out at the console prompt, and then booted. Once the Unix login
screen popped up the mouse didn't work and neither did the keyboard. I
tried a different known good mouse and keyboard and cycled the power.
Again, I could type all I wanted at the console prompt but after booting
nothing worked, not even the caps lock key. Anyone have any ideas why the
keyboard and mouse would quit functioning after booting Unix?

Also, there is supposed to be a file /var/adm/sialog that tracks su
commands, etc. What has to be done to start up the process that generates
that file? C2 security is enabled on this system.

Thanks, I'll summarize.

James W. DeLozier
Systems Manager
Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division
Orlando, FL
systemjd_at_field.ntsc.navy.mil