SUMMARY: sendmail problem

From: Farul Ghazali <farul_at_cuccfa.ccc.columbia.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 16:17:13 -0400

Thanks to all who replied. The original question is ...

> I'm having a little problem with sendmail. Before we upgraded to DU4.0b,
> (in DU3.2b) any email that came in addressed to a lastname or first name
> of a user would automatically go to that user. ie. emailing me at
> ghazali_at_cuccfa or farul_at_cuccfa would get to me, even though my userid is
> fg_at_cuccfa. Now in DU4.0b it doesn't work anymore. I've looked at
> mailsetup(8) and sendmail.cf but can't figure it out.

The answer lies in sendmail.cf, an option OG was left out which was there
originally in our old DU3.2b sendmail.cf file. Adding it and restarting
sendmail fixed the problem.

Several people mentioned that this could be an aliases problem. This wasn't
the case for me, but having the OG also brought up the issue that if the
aliases file was wrong or not updated, sendmail would automatically look
it up in /etc/passwd instead of bouncing the email back.

One caveat about using the OG option is that there may be too many people
with the same names in /etc/passwd, and sendmail would only pick the first
one it finds which may not be the correct one.

Again, many thanks to all who replied.

farul ghazali
systems analyst
columbia university in the city of new york