How to find what process eats the file space.

From: <vibert_at_b3e.jussieu.fr>
Date: Wed, 14 May 97 00:01:37 +0200

Dear gurus,

On a networlk of DUx machines all sharing via NFS the /u directory,
where all users have their home directory, a process eats all the /u space
at high speed (8 Go since it is an advfs system). The file server
syas continuously file system full. But we are unable to find the
responsible process. It can be on one of the 80 machines of the network...
Does it exist a tool to know what is the machine, or the process
that produces such a problem. If it was possible to know what is
the responsible machine we could reboot it. We hesitate to shutdown all
the network since many users have programs running since several days
(simulation programs, long lasting computations).

Thank you for any help.

Dr Jean-Francois Vibert; B3E ESI INSERM U444
Faculte de Medecine Saint-Antoine, 27 rue Chaligny. 75571 PARIS Cedex 12
Tel: (33)-1-44.73.84.31; Fax: (33)-1-44.73.84.54
e-mail Internet: vibert_at_b3e.jussieu.fr http://www.b3e.jussieu.fr