SUMM:Memory upgrade on AlphaStation

From: César Arriaga <tcsa_at_arrakis.es>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:52:18 +0100

These are the answers obtained in response to my question:
. Memory providers for upgrade in AlphaStation 500/266, fro 128 to 256
MB.
. Reusability of DIMMS in standard PC architectures.

Thanks to all of you,

Cesar Arriaga
tcsa_at_arrakis.es

Steve VanDevender <stevev_at_hexadecimal.uoregon.edu>

DEC-supplied Alpha memory uses the same DIMM pinout, but I have heard
that it only supplies 33 bits per DIMM instead of 36 bits as would be
used in PC systems (AlphaStation ECC memory uses 4 extra bits per 128
bits for ECC, while PC memory typically uses 16 extra bits per 128 bits
for parity). You can use 36-bit PC DIMMs in Alphas (the extra 3 bits
per 32 are ignored), but you may have trouble using DEC-supplied DIMMs
in PCs.

khaled_at_just.edu.jo (Khaled Abu-Mallouh)

if you have a Kigston dealer in your country , the have memory that can
be installed in digital servers.

John Francini <francini_at_nashua.progress.com>

Some PCs use DIMMs, but the vast majority still use various flavours of
72-pin SIMMs. If the DIMMs are 168 pin, they should, however, be usable
in any PCI Power Macintosh systems you may have around, either ones
built by Apple itself or from its several cloners.