Problem with terminal settings

From: Bart Rousseau <roussea_at_uia.ua.ac.be>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 12:53:15 +0200

Hello,

I have two Digital workstations, the first running Digital
UNIX V4.0B the second running Digital UNIX V3.2. When I try
to rlogin from the first machine to the second I get the
following message :

Never heard of terminal type "dtterm".
Terminal type (default=vt100)?

When I entered dtterm, programs such as vi(m) and pine
didn't work. I realised it had something to do
with /etc/termcap so I copied the terminal info from the
first machine to the second. Now vim seems to be working, but
vi and pine are not :

>vi foo
dtterm: Unknown terminal type
I don't know what kind of terminal you are on - all I have is 'dtterm'.
[Using open mode]
"foo" [New file]

>vi
dtterm: Unknown terminal type
Visual needs addressible cursor or upline capability
:

>pine
Terminal type "dtterm", is unknown.

I know I should add the terminal info to the terminfo
directory, but I don't know how to do this (The books
I have at hand only give vague hints on how to
achieve this).

The question is : What should I do that

 - the system doesn't ask me what type of terminal I am using
 - programs such as vi and pine will work fine

Can this be done without changing the terminfo directory? If not
how do I get the info from the termcap file into the
terminfo directory?

Thanks in advance,
Bart.

ps If you need more information to answer this question,
please ask me!

ps2 I don't think changing TERM to vt100 is the good way to go...

|I am not popular enough to be different |
| Homer Simpson |
|Bart Rousseau, Ph.D. student |
|University of Antwerp - Dep. of Chemistry |
|Structural Chemistry - Quantum Chemistry |
|Universiteitsplein 1 - 2610 Antwerpen |
|Belgium - roussea_at_uia.ac.be |
|http://sch-www.uia.ac.be/struct/quantum/ |
|kobalt_at_innet.be - Bart.Rousseau_at_kava.be|
|Tel.: + 32 3 8202366 - Fax.: + 32 3 8202356 |