SUMMARY:CDE workspaces and applications

From: Theis Jean-Marie 77-21 theis_at_pegase.cad.cea.fr <theis_at_pegase.cad.cea.fr>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 10:41:19 +0200

Theis Jean-Marie:
simple ressource humaine du gebd du cea/dsm/drfc/step/
Tels : 7721 7527 4695
mail adress : theis_at_drfc.cad.cea.fr
  "La pitie sans orgueil n'appartient qu'a la femme"

  				 Tourgueniev

Many thanks to :

Walt Kopy
and also to
Lee Hughes
Vipul Patel

My original questions where not very clear so I received 2 types of
 answers :

** First category : answers concerning : "how to tell CDE to start an application
 on a given workspace , this when CDE starts :

Vipul Patel wrote :

        One way to achieve this is to:

        - start all of your applications
        - relocate them to desired workspaces with MB3 popup
          menu on the application decoration border.
        - save the current session via the style manager ->
          startup -> set home session

        After the login, your CDE compliant apps will startup
        on selected workspaces.

        Hope this helps,

        Vipul Patel
        vsp_at_unx.dec.com
----------------------------------
Walt Kopy wrote:

 Hello,

 Let me first suggest the easiest approach, even though it is the least
 flexible.

 1. start the "Style Manager" from the front panel
 2. select startup
 3. make sure you have selected "Resume Current Session"
 4. close the Style Manager
 5. setup each work space as you prefer. That is, open whatever
    application you want and size and position the windows however
    you like.
 6. logout of CDE. Your current sesson settings will be saved in
    ~/.dt/sessions/current. When you login next time, CDE should
    start with the same applications in the same workspaces as when
    you shutdown. You can also manually edit the files in .../current
    if you want to fine tune things.

 I would also suggest you read the Style Manager documentation in the
 CDE User's Guide. Hope this helps.

** Second category : answers concerning : "As you know it sometimes can be necessary
 to start an application (which refuses to be restarted by CDE at session startup)
 via the $HOME/.dt/sessions/sessionetc script, but this application pops up on
 workspace 0 , how can I tell CDE to display it on another workspace ? *<;)"
 Which was my real question ( I apologizes for the noise ).

- Walt Kopy wrote :

I have seen the problem you described with applications such as Netscape. These
apps are not "CDE aware" so they can't read the CDE resource files and therefore
don't know about workspaces. There is no solution to this problem from our side,
sorry. The bottom line is that you can startup these types of apps, but you can not
control the workspace they will start in. This problem is generic to all CDE systems
and not specific to Digital.