mkfdmn using -p

From: <rem_at_MATH.AMS.ORG>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:26:10 -0400

Hello Managers,

I will try not to make this a longer question than it
has to be. I am running DU 3.2c on a 2100 and am using
ADVFS on a RAID 5 partition. A month ago we ran out of
metadata space (the error message was 'out of space').
After much talking with digital, it seems that we had
too many files for that file domain (we had just under
800,000 files). To increase the number of files I had to
pre-allocate so many when I create the file domain. I
installed the patch to allow me to do that and ran the
command:

mkfdmn -p 2048 <partition> <domain name>

We also added three 4gb disks to the RAID, for a total
of 20gb of useable space. This was supposed to preallocate
800,000 files for the meta table. This seemed to work because
I currently have just over 1,000,000 files on that domain
(I used the showfsets command to get that info).

I did some testing to find out the max number of files
I can put on that domain and I got up to 1,244,964 on the
domain before the "out of space" error appeared. The problem
is that we are constantly adding files to this domain and we
will run out of metadata space in the next few months. We
currently are only using about 9gb, so the actual disk space is
not a problem.

Here's my questions:

1) Can I use a higher number than 2048 when creating the file domain
   using preallocated files? The man pages only mention up to 2048.

2) If I use the -x option to mkfdmn (which sets the number of pages
   that the metatable extent table grows) will I be allowing a larger
   number of files to be created?

Most of the files (more than 90%) are very small ( less than 200k) and
we want to keep them all in the same file domain (they are currently in
the same filesystem).

Thanks for any help.

Bob Morse
System Administrator