DU 4.x IDA sendmail stripping local hostname

From: <rnfrank_at_pierce.llnl.gov>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:51:37 -0700

Greetings,
   I am having problems with the standard IDA sendmail stripping the local hostname
from the "From: " portion of the mail message. This results in mail which should be
From: rnfrank_at_cermet.llnl.gov being From:rnfrank_at_pierce.llnl.gov. Pierce is
the mail exchanger which is putting its name in the blank host field. I spent the better
part of a couple of days reading the red UNIX book and SENDMAIL and fiddling with
the sendmail.cf file. When I send mail from root the problem does not manifest itself.
   I have read up on the process of configuring the standard sendmail 8.8.5 to replace
the DEC IDA, but I want to allow lots of time for this. If anyone has conquered this
problem, I would sincerely appreciate some insights.
    Thanks,
                       rich frank
                       rnfrank_at_llnl.gov

                     ( If anyone can help , please don't use REPLY. It'll probably go to pierce)