SUMMARY : POP3 Server on Digital Unix Ver 4.0B

From: Thomas V Thomas <thomastv_at_rra1.rr.dupont.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:42:09 -0500

I wrote ...

From: Thomas V Thomas
Date: Wed Jun 11 17:43:46 1997
To: alpha-osf-managers_at_ornl.gov
Subject: POP3 Server on Digital Unix Ver 4.0B

Dear Friends,

We had configured the mail on the AlphaServer running Digital Unix 4.0B
and it's working fine, except that i'm not able to configure it as a
POP3 Server. When we try to retieve the mail from the Netscape Browser,
an error is displayed

       Netscape's Network connection was refused by the Server:
       rra1.rr.dupont.com
       The Server may not be accepting connections or may be busy.
       Try connecting later.

I am able to connect to other mail servers and retrieve mails from them.

The man pages of MH POP on Digital Unix is not detailed. Also we dont
want to try other POP implementations now.

Other clarifications we need are,

1. Do we have to create a user 'pop' ?
2. Should we run the popd in the background and how to start it
automatically on boot ?
3. Should popwrd be run for each user who uses POP3 server to retrieve
mail ?

Can anybody help me out.

Thomas V Thomas

Email: thomastv_at_rra1.rr.dupont.com

Solution :

I have installed Qualcomm's popper. It works really well and
is easy to configure. Thank you for your replies. I am enclosing
the replies received to summarize.

Thomas