SUMMARY: tuning DU for web serving

From: Chris Pressley <chrisp_at_tidalwave.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:02:22 -0400

I asked:

> I have read that a common fault in setting up web servers is to have too
> few "network control buffers" in the kernel. Can this parameter be set in
> Digital Unix 3.2, or is it automatically set.
>
> I have a web server with one NIC but multiple IP addresses aliased to it
> (ifconfig tu0 alias .....). The primary IP address points to the primary
> hostname, and gets most of the traffic. When the primary address yields
> very slow response time to a web browser, accessing the same content
> through an aliased IPaddress yields much better performance. Why might
> this be?

Thanks to Yvon, Vlad, Bob Sloane, Ram Rao.

Most everyone pointed me to
http://www.digital.com:80/info/internet/document/ias/tuning.html

I couldn't find a reference to "network control buffers" in this document,
but hopefully it will help. I still don't have an explanation as to why
aliased IP addresses on the same interface yield better performance.

Thanks,
Chris