ftp/tcp: unknown service

From: TronderNett, Thomas Vaadahl <thomas_at_nidaros.trondernett.no>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:23:13 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello gurus,

In the last couple of weeks, all our users have had problems accessing
programs like telnet, ftp, irc, and others from our DEC server with UNIX
3.2d. The error-messages are as follows:
        ftp/tcp: unknown service
        tcp/telnet: unknown service
        unable to connect to ... irc.xxx.xxx ... : Permission denied

The funny thing is that I experience no problems as root. Everything
works perfectly then.

Do you know what is causing this problem?

Sincerely,
Thomas Vaadahl
| Thomas Vådahl mailto:thomas_at_trondernett.no |
| System Administrator - TrønderNett AS |
| http://www.trondernett.no/ |
|_Phone_+47_73_54_02_90_____Fax_+47_73_94_38_61_|