Not able to login

From: jagadeesh-v <jag_at_getafix.cmc.net.in>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 10:58:35 +0500 (GMT+0500)

Hai DU gurus,
I have a DU 4.0b system with CDE. root is able to login, but none of the
other users are able to login.
    I changed the uid of one of the user to 0, did a mkpasswd, and then I
am able to login into the system from the CDE.
    I tried to telnet from a remote system into this one, but still I am
not able to login into the system.
    I get error messages "Invalid directory" when the user tried to login.
I confirmed that the user's home-directory has all the required
permissions for the user, his default-shell is listed in the /etc/shells,
the permission for the /dev/tty is rw-rw-rw-.
    Any help on this is very helpful for me.

   Thanks in advance

JAGADEESH. V
jag_at_getafix.cmc.net.in