Summ: Task table is full (Again)

From: Juergen Bock <bock_at_dbf.ddb.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:33:30 +0200

Hi fellas,

I received a few answers which helped me solve my problem.
Although the value max-proc-per-user is dynamically configurable, the
overall maximum number of processes is not. The max number of
processes is a static kernel variable. It is determined the
following way:
NPROC = maxusers * 8 +20

where "NPROC" is the overall maximum number of processes and
"maxusers" is the variable defined in /sys/conf/YourMachineName.
NPROC is defined in /sys/YourMachineName/param.c.
Thus NPROC is statically compiled into the kernel. To increase it I
had to recompile the kernel and boot. I set maxusers from 32 to 128
and now it works. My overall max number of processes increased from
276 to 1044 which should be enough.

As far as I understand there are at least two more possibilities to
increase the number which I have not verified:
-You can add a variable "maxproc" to /sys/conf/YourMachineName, like
maxproc 512
or so.
-You can redefine NPROC by changing
"#define NPROC (20 + 8 * MAXUSERS)" in /sys/YourMachineName/param.c.

No matter what you do, you have to recompile the kernel and reboot.

Thanks to all who replied:

Juliana Solomon <juli_at_cc.huji.ac.il>
"Wigg, David" <David.Wigg_at_olsy.co.uk>
"Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646" <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
ole-christian.schroder_at_nopow.abb.no
Kai Grunau <kgrunau_at_ifm.uni-kiel.de>

Die Deutsche Bibliothek Juergen Bock
Adickesallee 1 069-1525-1728