SUMM: Re: Disk Conflicts/CPU Panic

From: Pam Woods, Systems Manager <axsymgr_at_UAA.ALASKA.EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:24:57 -0800

Sorry for the delay in posting the solution - I wanted to wait til I was
sure it worked.

Thanks to the people who pointed out options MSFS - when I called
digital for help it took them 4 days before someone could point this
oversite out. My email posting had me the answer within the day (from
someone in digital but my window for reboot had closed so I couldn't try
it.)

The problem was: I couldn't reboot after rebuilding my kernel.
                 I would get a cpu panic stating it couldn't mount
                 domain_root and it would halt and reboot again.
                 (it would keep rebooting until I pressed my halt button.)

Solution: Since my root partition is a ADVFS type you need options MSFS
      in your configuration file /sys/conf/YOURHOST ... I must have
      lost it when I did a doconfig without -c YOURHOST on the command
      line(?). But rebuild worked fine after that.

The other problem was: Getting scsi cam errors trying to use a disk in
           scsi 5 in my internel bay of the 2100. Show device
           showed the disk, but in using it during an upgrade the copies
           started failing.

Solution?: Still not sure on the dka500 disk slot situation. We fixed
        the tape drive so it nolonger looks like a "jukebox" tlz6 vs the
        tlz06 and maybe that will help.
           I'll be re-attempting my upgrade this weekend so I'll figure out
           if this drive is now usable.

________
Pam Woods - axsymgr_at_uaa.alaska.edu

---------- ORIGINAL message (sorta) ----------