SUMMARY: OS crashes because of ATM LANE connection release

From: Hans Ranke <Hans.Ranke_at_Regent.E-Technik.TU-Muenchen.DE>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:29:57 +0100

Thanks to Albert De Knuydt <Bert.Deknuydt_at_esat.kuleuven.ac.be>
and Tim Winders <twinders_at_spc.cc.tx.us> for their replies!

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, I asked:

> Hello managers,
>
> since we attached servers with ATMworks 750 adapters to
> out ATM emulates LANs, we experience kernel crashes that seem
> to be triggered by irregular ATM connection releases.
> These crashes mostly occurred when some other LANE client
> that had crashed comes online again.
>
> Has anyone made similar experiences? Do you know a bugfix?
> [ Details omitted ]

Albert De Knuydt replied:

> We have very similar experiences. We use a Cisco switch with 5 Alpha's, a
> Sun, a couple of HP's and an Ethernet Switch in one ELAN. And we have
> frequent (once every couple of days) crashes ever since, especially when
> 'something' occured with the HP's. We installed the latest firmware, loads
> of patches (both on DEC and HP), but nothing really helps. We have
> frequent (sometimes several a minute !) messages like this:

> ATM LANE - Connection Released, cause = 31

> These messages disappear when the HP's are removed from the ELAN.

> LANE connections Alpha to Alpha and Sun to Alpha work without a glitch, but
> HP to Sun and HP to Alpha are, to say the least, erratic.

Well, we do not have HPs in our ELAN, so this seems not to be the cause.
(Besides the Alpha machines with ATMworks 750 adapters mentioned in my
original question we have only Alphastations with ATMworks 350 adapters
- these apparently do not have this problem - and DecSwitch 400 switches.)

Tim Winders gave me the following hint:

> Have you installed the 0004 patch kit (from 060997 I think)? There were
> several patches to ATM and ATM/LANE in that kit.

We had not applied the patch, but we are preparing to do it now.
We hope that it solves this problem. However, since it will probably
take several weeks until we can be sure that the problem is solved,
i am summarizing now.

Thanks, Hans

--
Hans Ranke                      Hans.Ranke_at_regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de
Lehrstuhl fuer                                                Institute of