Problem with HUB

From: Iliya I. Trub <trub_at_r5.dgtu.donetsk.ua>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:27:31 +0200

Dear Managers,
I have another quitly misunderstandable problem. I use Digital
Unix 3.2c. My ALPHA has interface ln0 with IP address 194.44.183.181.
Alpha is connected with HUB Compex microHUB TP3000/EC[2~C by twisted pair.
HUB does not indicate connection by lighting. But when I connect HUB
with IBM PC with the same cable, it is OK.
   Alpha does not indicate any network damages during the loading.
Netstat-command sees interface ln0. I only noted message during
the loading: "Writing to routing socket. File exists", but I
do not now what does it mean. Command "netstat -I ln0 -s" gives
the following:

2783 seconds since last zeroed
 0 bytes received
8071 bytes sent
 0 data blocks received
 84 data blocks sent
  0 multicast bytes received
  0 multicast blocks received
8071 multicast bytes sent
 84 multicast blocks sent
and after that raw there are only zeroes.
When I put out cable from the HUB, I see regular messages
"Lost carrier: check connector". When I put in cable again,
these messages disappear. But HUB does not light and ping
with Alpha does not work. (I'd like to note, that LI-indi-
cator does not light).
   What is the probable reason? Does net card on the Alpha
out of order or some programming setups are needed? May be,
I must edit or create some files? How to clear this question?
 With hope on reply,
   Iliya Trub,
 Applied Mathematics Department,
 Donetsk State University, Ukraine,
 Associate Professor (and regretfully,, System Administrator
 simultaneously)
 Best regards!