Configuring the kernel to accept ISA VGA card?

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_AppliedTheory.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 11:38:25 -0400

This is sort of a followup to my earlier post about
        "Trident VGA card in AlphaServer 400?"

I received some interesting info from mark.zander_at_sheridanc.on.ca
(thanks Mark!) describing an ISA VGA card that came with some Alpha 400s
(ATI Mach64) and explaining how to make the card work on the alpha.
Procedure is:
>>> iconfig
        [add ISA--VGA in the name column, tab over to "enabled" column,
         add "Y", press "enter" twice to exit]
>>> boot -fi genvmunix dka0

This brought the system all the way up using the ISA VGA card (the Trident)
that we have in the system to talk to a VGA console display.

I deduce from this that this card works with the system, if we can just
find the right kernel build options. I used the "sizer" to determine that
the option to have the system use the VGA controller was:

controller vga0 at isa0 slot 6

and added this entry to our config file and tried to rebuild the kernel, but
the build fails with complaints about loading:
rm -f vmunix vmunix.sys
ld:
Error: Undefined:
ws_register_screen
ws_map_region
monitor_type
nmon_types
install_vga_console
VGA_io_base_handle
VGA_mem_base_handle
VGA_save_registers
VGA_restore_registers
VGA_enable_interrupt
VGA_disable_interrupt
VGA_clear_interrupt
VGA_video_on
VGA_video_off
VGA_load_color_map_entry
VGA_clean_color_map
*** Exit 1 (ignored)
chmod 755 a.out
chmod: a.out: No such file or directory
*** Exit 4
Stop.

Why can I boot with genvmunix, but not build a kernel that will do the
same? What do I need to put in the config file to make this work????

Many TIA!!!!!!!!

--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com