Oracle shared mem params - DU 4.0B

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_AppliedTheory.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 15:01:34 -0400

This is a Digital Unix 4.0B/Oracle 7.* question. Our DBA asked me to
set the following system parameters:

shmmax - max. shared memory segment size - DBA says "set this to 80% of
the max. amount of memory we can use", indicating it should be 80% of total
physical memory - oracle info indicates the unit here is in bytes
        - ? is the unit of shmmax in bytes ?

shmmni - number of shared memory identifiers - DBA says "set this to the
maximum number of shared memory segments in the system"
        - ? how does one find/define the maximum number of shared memory segs ?

shmseg - number mem. segments a user process can attach - DBA says "set this
maximum number of shared memory segments a user process can attach"
        - ? how does one find/define the maximum number of segs a user can att.?

shmmns - ? This one appears to be an Intel param, not a DEC param - true?

Many TIA!!

--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com