updated status on adding a quantum 7000 tape device

From: SIMEONE, Allan J. <Allan.SIMEONE_at_rp-rorer.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:29:54 -0400

Hello All,

I thought I would give an update to my situation with this tape
device I'm trying to add to my system. First of all, thanks for
the many suggestions I've received. Consensus says, add it
to the kernel. Did that this morning with no luck.

For those of you who are interested, here is a, hopefully brief,
history and updated status.

I'm running ADVFS and LSM mirrored system disk. The system
has 4 kzpsa's (kzpsa0 through 4) and a kzpaa0.

The original disk devices at console mode were dkd. The DEC
engineer added a scsi board for us to add the tape drive. At console
mode, that automatically moved our disks to dke without us changing
anything and reflected that with show bootdef_dev (which I thought was
pretty cool :-) ).

We booted the system with no problems seen, so we thought everything
was fine until I tried to add the tape device later. Through this
process, I've found the following...

on vmunix: the hard drives are rz25, rz26 and rz27.
on genvmunix: the hard drives become rz33, rz34, rz35. Difference of 8.

Genvmunix will not boot all the way now complaining about device rrzb1c
(which I believe at this time, doesn't exist) I think this is caused by
the difference of 8. On genvmunix the tape drive comes up as
tz29 scsi3 bus 3 target 5 lun 0. I can not get genvmunix up all the way
to check scu. On vmunix, there is no bus 3 target 5 lun 0.
Bus 3 ends at target 3 lun 7 and then goes onto bus 4. The way this is
acting, I would guess it is really on bus 2 target 5 lun 0, but that
shows type: processor. I went through each bus number and target
number where I see some kind of device with scu show dev .... and
couldn't find the tape drive. At console mode, the tape device is
currently
mkd500. I also tried creating the tape device tz21(8 off from 29).

SO, I have a call into DEC at the moment and I'm awaiting their
call. I'm also thinking at this point to remove the scsi board
to see if genvmunix is fixed. I have already tried rebuilding genvmunix
and still have the same problems booting with it.

I'm just wondering at this point if LSM would be messed under
genvmunix because of the 8 scsi id difference and that is why I
can't boot from genvmunix.

There's the update. Any suggestions appreciated.
thanks,
Allan