Attempt to install wrong version option deletes files?!

From: Judith Reed <jreed_at_AppliedTheory.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 11:20:06 -0400

This may more a cautionary tale than a question. I'd been installing the
Graphic System Manager utilities on various systems today so I could use
the dxkerneltuner utilities. I'd installed on 3 DU 4.0B systems, from a
4.0B distribution CD, with no problem. I went to the 4th system, and
not realizing that it was OSF1 V3.2, I tried to do the install, which
mysteriously failed with complaints about:
        rm: no such file

On trying to do things after this install failed, I found the following:
        /bin (a link to /usr/bin) was missing
        /usr/bin/more, /usr/bin/rm missing
        /etc/termcap missing
        unclear as yet what else is missing....

Moral of this story is to be careful of versions when installing software,
but one might hope that newer versions of software wouldn't be destructive
if someone attempted to install them on older versions of OSs. Anyone
ever seen this kind of behavior before???

sigh...

--
Judith Reed
jreed_at_appliedtheory.com