SUMMARY: users changing passwords

From: Randi Simons <rsimons_at_tmp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:34:57 -0400 (EDT)

My question was, how can an ordinary user successfully
change his password on a system where a hashed password
database is in use if he gets a message to run mkpasswd,
which only root can run...

Thanks to Michael Matthews, Dr. Tom Blinn, Alex Nord,
and Javier Baquerizo Sanchez for their quick responses.

The answer is, root should run mkpasswd to get the hashed
database back in sync with /etc/passwd, and once this is
done, the users shouldn't see this message. The real question
is, why did the database and the /etc/passwd file get out of
sync. The answer to that is, I edited it by hand late yesterday
and didn't do a mkpasswd afterwards (maybe if I'd used vipw
to do the edit the mkpasswd would have happened automatically?)

Thanks all, for the quick responses.

Randi Simons
Systems Administrator
TMP Interactive