From: Christopher E. Olaes <colaes_at_hercules.nhlbi.nih.gov>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:32:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Everyone,

Here is my original question.

> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I am new to the world of Dec. I just installed an ethernet card for my
> > Dec 3000 osf1 V3.2.148 alpha.
> >
> > However the operating system does not seem to see this new ethernet controller.
> >
> > I work primarily with Sun Solaris, and understand very well how to add
> > a new ethernet interface and reconfigure the operating system, however
> > I do not know how to do this under OSF1.
> >
> > Do I need to compile some options into the kernel or do some type of
> > reconfiguration........
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated...and I will summarize....
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris
> > --

After getting numerous replies..... Here is what I ended up doing....

1. Bring system into prom mode
   (shutdown -h now)
2. In Prom mode, I check to see if the system could see the ethernet board I
   had just installed by typing..

   show device
3. I was able to see the ethernet device and its MAC address
   (Therefore the system could see the network board)
4. I rebooted the system using the generic kernel
   boot -file genvmunix
5. After the system came up, I changed to /usr/sys/conf and did a doconfig
   (This will recompile the new kernel with network support)
6. After the new kernel was built, I renamed the existing kernel on the system
   and put the new kernel that was just built into its place.
   mv /vmunix /vmunix.orig
   cp /usr/sys/conf/ALPHA/vmunix /vmunix
7. I then halted the system and reboot with the new kernel
   shutdown -h now
   Prom>> boot -file vmunix
8. The new system came up with network support.....!!!
9. I then copied the old /etc/rc.config file to /etc/rc.config.orig
10. I then edited the /etc/rc.config file if needed
11. reboot the system
12. Done...

Thanks again to everyone who replied... I really appeciated your help..

Werner Hahling
Kristin (Kris) Larsen
Lucio Chiappetti
pavel_at_cssip.edu.au
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.de
Robert L. McMillin
Kirk Rafferty

Thanks
Again
Chris
*Christopher E. Olaes                           Network Administrator        *
*                                               National Institutes of Health*
*Phone (301)496-3275                            10 Center Drive, MSC-1061    *
*Beeper(301)701-4442                            Building 10, Room B1D161     *
*                                               Bethesda, MD 20892-1061      *