telnet and ping problem

From: Dirk Paulmann <paulmann_at_umpa01.gwdg.de>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 12:09:32 +0200

Dear osf-managers,

I've got a problem concerning the networking of our new DEC 433au Workstation running DU4.0C.
I can reach hosts in our local network via telnet and ping. This doesn't work for hosts out
of our local network. Alltough nslookup figures out the name resolution for example:

nslookup gwdu20
Server: umpa06.gwdg.de
Address: 134.76.200.106

Name: gwdu20.gwdg.de
Address: 134.76.98.2

a ping or telnet to this hosts leads to the error-message

ping: unknown host gwdu20

A telnet or ping to the direct address (134.76.98.2) works out.
Any ideas? The rest of the network works fine and the configuration looks o.k.

Thanks in advance for help.
D. Paulmann

|   Dirk Paulmann                      E-Mail : paulmann_at_umpa06.gwdg.de   |
|   Institut fuer Metallphysik                                            |
|   der Universitaet Goettingen                                           |
|   Hospitalstrasse 3-7                               Tel.: 0551-395302   |
|   D-37073 Goettingen                                Fax : 0551-395012   |