Restoring 3.2G system disc..?

From: Rob Naccarato <rob.naccarato_at_sheridanc.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 07:39:43 -0400

The other day I lost my system disc on one of my DEC Unix 3.2G
systems. I went to the backup tape, because we are so good about
doing backups, and tried a restore via a boot from the installation
CD (3.2G). We use the vdump utility for backups.

It seems that the vrestore command contained on the installation CD
does not work - some error about version numbers. So, I went and
grabbed the 4.0B Installation CD and booted from that. The problem
there was that I was not able to mount any of the filesystems from
the system disc and, consequently, I could not perform a vrestore.
The system disc is actually a mirrored RAID array on a StorageWorks
230 controller (KZPSC, or some such thing). It's funny, because I
could run a disklabel -r on the system disc without problems, but
not mount any of the filesystems... some error about the device
not being addressable or some such thing...

I ended up re-installing the OS, which pissed off a lot of users
because of the extended downtime, and restored individual customized files
using the newly installed vrestore command.

So, the question is: What is the most reliable way to restore a system
disc in 3.2G? What's the point of putting a version of vrestore on the
CD that I can't use?

--
Rob Naccarato           "I know I'm a lot of feathers,
Sys Admin               but not much chicken."