Benchmark Program

From: Nopchai Tangtritham <nung_at_alpha.tu.ac.th>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 06:59:34 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

     We have two machine AS/4100 (DU4.0B) and Sun Enterprise 3000 with
Solaris. We are wondering are there any benchmark program which not
designed for specific machine to test the performance (Both machined)
What I mean is .. to be fairly we have the same source code. So we
compile in both machine and run to do something that can give us the
result in term of performance (for example Disk I/O etc)
    Do you think is it possible to write the code like that? In my
opinion we can't do thing like that since both (machine & OS) have
different architecture such as DUnix is 64bits while Solaris not. So,
if we write code designed for 32 bits it will not fair for Dunix, are we?
    If I'm wrong. please give me the reason.. I'm wondering are there any
programs like that out there that I can test?

    Thank you in advance for your advise..

Regards,
Nung