About to rebuild kernel after renaming my system.

From: Peter Chapin <pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 15:43:44 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings!

When I first brought my system up I gave it a temporary name. I'm using
DEC Unix v4.0A. A few weeks later I renamed it to it's final, production
name using the Network Configuration Application from the SysMan
Configuration Checklist. In particular, I revised the hostname in the
Ethernet Interface dialog box. This seemed to mostly work.

I am about to rebuild the kernel. However, I notice a number of places
under the /sys directory structure where the old name is still being used.
I could rebuild the kernel using the old system name to identify it, but
that is sort of annoying. I'd rather just update the names under /sys to
reflect the new, true name. Here are the places I've identified as needing
to be changed:

/sys/conf/config-file
  The name of the config-file needs to be changed as does the "ident"
  field in that file.

/sys/conf/config-file.list
  The name of this file reflecting layered products needs to be changed.

/sys/system-name
  The name of this directory needs to be changed.

/sys/system-name/system-name.mod
  The name of this binary file needs to be changed. I'm not sure what
  this file is for.

/sys/system-name/sysconfigtab
  This file needs to be edited so that the .mod file above is correctly
  mentioned.

/sys/system-name/sysconfigtab.system-name
  The name of this file needs to be changed and it needs to be edited. It
  appears to be identical to /sys/system-name/sysconfigtab. I'm not quite
  certainly why this is so. Perhaps this file is copied into the
  sysconfigtab file during the rebuilding process?

I can probably do all of these things manually and then attempt a rebuild
to see if it works. However, I thought I'd post a message to this list
first to see if I'm missing something important. Is there a better way to
do this? Is there some utility that I should be using to update the system
name? If I do have to do this manually, have I found all the places that I
need to change? I hope I don't have to go into the binary data inside
/sys/system-name/system-name.mod and change anything in there!

TIA

Peter http://twilight.vtc.vsc.edu/~pchapin
pchapin_at_twilight.vtc.vsc.edu Paganism: Ancient beliefs in a modern world