From: Benjie Gandionco <Benjie_at_cbax02.nsc.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:42:00 +0800

Thanks to the ff. who responded within an hour after I posted my message:

Juergen Bock bock_at_dbf.ddb.de
Joe Spanicek joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au

Here is my original message

I'm running DU 3.2D and am having problems with PC-Xware. When I try to
start an X session, this is the message that comes up:

Cannot obtain database information on this terminal. Digital's login screen
starts to come up, but no login dialog comes up.

And the replies:

-----------------------------------
Hi there,

this is not a PCXware problem. I assume you have Enhanced Security
running. What you have to do is the following:
Edit /etc/auth/system/ttys. For each client PC add a line like

PCNAME\:0:t_devname=PCNAME\:0:t_xdisplay:t_login_timeout#0:chkent:

where PCNAME is the name or the IP-address of the client PC.

Edit /etc/auth/system/devassign. For each client PC add a line like

PCNAME\:0:v_devs=PCNAME\:0:v_type=xdisplay:chkent:

This should do it.

Hope that helps
Juergen

Die Deutsche Bibliothek Juergen Bock
Adickesallee 1 069-1525-1728
60322 Frankfurt bock_at_dbf.ddb.de

-----------------------------------
You probably have enhanced security turned on. You will have to do the
following to connect to the machine - X-Terminals are mentioned below
but it also applies to PC-Xware.

***************************************

The display NCD gives about some database error is one cause of X-terminals
not been able to login when the Alpha station is using ENHANCED security. If
you use BASE security it should not be a problem.

If you switched to ENHANCED security the following additions to system files
should fix the proble.

In ENHANCED you will need to make a entry in:

/etc/auth/system/ttys

&

/etc/auth/system/devassign.

to get the system to accept X-Terminal connections.

The fix would be:

Say your X_Terminal is in '/etc/hosts' as "ncdxterm"

1) in '/etc/auth/system/ttys' add a line for the Display, similar to:

ncdxterm\:0:t_devname=\:t_xdisplay:t_login_timeout#0:chkent:

2) Try also a line in '/etc/auth/system/devassign' similar to:

ncdxterm\:0:v_devs=ncdxterm:0:v_type=xdisplay:chkent:

3) in '/etc/securettys' add a line for the display if you want to log in as
root

ie: just add ncdxterm:0 to the list

For Digital Unix 4.x systems also do the following:

In addition to making the changes in /etc/auth/ttys and
/etc/auth/devassign, you also need to run the following to add the
modifications into the system databases:

/usr/tcb/bin/convauth -d tv

Hope this helps

Joe Spanicek