SUMMARY: Problem with imapd, netscape 4.x and DU4.0

From: Peter R Bivesand <PetBi_at_UNIT.LiU.SE>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 14:20:06 +0200

A few days ago I asked if anyone had experienced any problems with netscape
4.x, Univ. of Washington's imap-server and DigitalUNIX. I got no answer so
I guess that we will have to do some more digging. The original question is
included below.

/Peter

>Hello fellow managers.
>
>I got a strange problem that we've been trying to solve without any luck.
>The setup is as follows:
>
>Hardware: AlphaServer 8200
>OS: DigitalUnix 4.0, no patches installed.
>Software: University of Washington IMAPD version 10.190, Netscape 4.x any
>platform, Pine 3.95 or 3.96.
>
>The problem:
>This machine is used as mailserver for our students, we recommend that they
>use imap-capable clients due to the fact that they read mail from many
>different computers.
>When netscape 4.x was released we tried it out and encountered a strange
>problem:
>You can use netscape to read mail via imap if you don't have a username of
>3 or 6 characters. You can read mail via imap with Pine regardless the
>lenght of your username. To make things even more confusing; if you use the
>same version of the imap-server on another platform (Solaris) it works
>perfectly with netscape, even if you have a username of 3 or 6 characters.
>I dumped the traffic on the network and found out that when you use
>netscape (imap-configuration) and use a 3 or 6 character long username, the
>connection is not initiated properly and you get corrupted packets. When
>you use a username with a lenght of f.ex. 5 characters the traffic is not
>corrupted and it works fine.
>A dump of the same experiment conducted with pine shows no problems.
>
>I hope that you all can understand the problem, it's a bit confusing and it
>really starts to annoy us. We've tried the same setup on an Alpha-station
>running DU 4.0b with no luck. Have you encountered the same problem or do
>you know how to solve it?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>/Peter R Bivesand
___
>Peter R Bivesand System Manager
>UNIT Linkoping University
>Phone: +46-13-281000 Fax: +46-13-284400
>HomePage: http://www.bive.unit.liu.se/~bive/
>PGP-key: http://www.bive.unit.liu.se/~bive/.pubkey/

Peter R Bivesand System Manager
UNIT Linkoping University
Phone: +46-13-281000 Fax: +46-13-284400
HomePage: http://www.bive.unit.liu.se/~bive/
PGP-key: http://www.bive.unit.liu.se/~bive/.pubkey/
"Anyone who says their system is bulletproof is either a liar or stupid"
- Winn Schwartau