Network disconnect

From: McClure,Dana <Dana_McClure_at_xn.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 06:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

We have been experiencing a network disconnection which appears to hang
 the network card on tu0 intermittently. It is self correcting usally
 in under 5 minutes but has been as long as 40 minutes at times. When
 the disconnect occurs local telnet users are able to connect to the
 host via IP on tu0 (wide area network), while users on the otherside
 of the router are not. We have elminated the router, the network and
 bandwidth. Everything points to the host. Is it possible the IP Stack
 is corrupt? Or that a timeout is occuring during an ftp via tu0? CPU
 time is not abnormal either.

The system is a DEC Alpha 2100 , DU 3.2b with dual NIC cards. The
 second net on tu1 is isolated to thin net and does not interface with
 the wide area net except at the host. It is using static routing,
 traceroute shows only long connect times to the target.
 1 xlg-mc (router's IP) 7 ms 2 ms 2 ms
 2 * * *
 3 * * *
 4 * * *
 5 * * *
 6 * * *
 7 * * *
 8 * * *
 9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 sys26 (target's IP) 4884 ms 34 ms 35 ms

Has anyone had a similar experience or have ideas on where I should
 begin to look? Thanks

Dana McClure
Electronic Data Systems Adv. UNIX SA
EDS_at_Xerox