X display security question

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallaire_at_gustave.revenu.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 13:31:09 EDT

Hello,

We will be running a particular X application that will be started by
CA-Unicenter on one of our servers.

I know it's a bit weird, but this batch application NEEDS an X display to
run and the third party who developped it cannot prevent this without
rewriting the application entirely. As I told you, this application does
not actually display anything on the graphics devices but it needs it to
run. It's probably opening it and using an "invisible" window to manage
it's events.

The program is started with CA-Unicenter and has to run on another machine.
  In the application, we will specify that DISPLAY=<the IP adress of some X
server>:0 but we have to make SURE that this server is actually running
when the program starts.

The only display we can be sure that is always UP is the CONSOLE on the
server where the program will run. So we told ourselves, just do an xhost
+name_of_the host from the console and we'll be in business.

This works well, but it is good only for the duration of the current X
session if we understand well. Is there a way to make such a setting
permanent ? That is, tell the X server running on the server: any program
on THIS server can access THIS display.

I know it's a bit dangerous, but we can live with it. This is a production
machine and nobody logs into it except for the systems and database
managers.

We tried to put a script for the xhost +some_hostname in the rc3.d
directory, but we realized that you HAVE to be actually USING X on THIS
DISPLAY to issue the xhost command.

Is there some work around this ?

We are in a hurry so a quick fix would be VERY appreciated.