SUMMARY: AlphaServer 2100: VMS and UNIX

From: Annette Hearn <AHEARN.OFFICE_DOMAIN_at_postino.hccs.cc.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:13:20 -0500

Thanks so much to all that responded!!
Matt J. L. Goebel goebel_at_emunix.emich.edu
Steve Thompson smt_at_nics1.corning.com
Simon Greaves S.J.Greaves_at_hw.ac.uk
Knut Hellebx knut.hellbo_at_nho.hydro.com
R. Wingert win_at_gate.fim.fgan.de
Tom Webster webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com
Alan Rollow alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
Raja Nagaraja Raja.Nagaraja_at_actew.com.au
Paul Kitwin PAUKIT_at_HBSI.COM
Ram Rao ram_at_ini.dec.com

My original post:
Can I take an existing Alpha 2100 system running OpenVMS,
wipe it out and install DigitalUNIX? I have CSLG. Will
I need to buy a OSF base license? (Thanks, Bill!)

These are the original model/descriptions of the
major components:

DY-251P1-A9 DEC 2100 Server Model A500MP
450YR-AA VMS System Add-In CPU for SMP
MS451-CA 512MB ECC Memory Board
BA350-KA Storage Pedestal w/AC 1/2 SCSI
RZ28-VA 2.1 GB Disks
TLZ6L-LG 16GB DAT Loader

I've searched the Digital WEB servers and I seen this
as "an advantage" of Alphaservers.....
"The only series of solutions with the freedom of choice
of three operating system environments - all AlphaServer
systems are designed to run Digital UNIX, OpenVMS, or
Windows NT."

Anyone confirm or deny? Better yet, if so, has anyone
tried this?

-----------------

Summary of replies:

By all accounts, yes, it is possible. But, the following must
be taken into account:

(1) Regardless of CSLG, must buy an OSF-BASE license as it is not
part of CSLG.
(2) Some mentioned the following licenses as well: OSF-USER
and NET-APP-SUP-200.
(3) Confirm the correct Firmware version.
(4) Set os_type UNIX at the console and install from CD.
(5) Since I have two processors, I will need an UNIX SMP License.

I really appreciate all your time and assistance!!
annette

Annette Hearn
Houston Community College System