sudden system misbehaviour

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:05:14 +0200 (MET DST)

An extremely strange thing has occurred to me on my Alpha 255 running DU 3.2.

  - on Friday I was developing some Fortran programs, which gave fully
    meaningful results

  - on Monday 17:00 I restarted working at that. I modified one program
    and still got meaningful results.

  - Then I was having some cursor funnies in an X program, so I logged out
    and back in to restart the X server. Then I rebooted at 18:30.

  - After that the program which were previously working ceased to produce
    meaningful results. The one I was working on produces an image full of
    zeroes. I tried using some of Friday's programs WITHOUT RECOMPILING
    THEM, and they ALSO produce funny results. I even have a very simple
    program which asks me two arguments for a library subroutine and
    calls it, prints the results and exit. Now this program gives zero as
    result. All the routine does is read from a file (which appears intact)
    and do some computation.

    I've also tried some older programs. There is one which should ask me
    some parameters always, and some others ONLY if an environment variable
    is set. Now such variable is NOT set and the program asks me also the
    additional dialogue !!! (After which seems to run normally).

  - I am getting no system errors at runtime, I got no errors during
    boot, there are no errors in uerf -R.

  - I looked at the "last" log (searching for an intrusion) and found
    none.

  - I looked at the modification time of my files and libraries and
    found nothing strange. Similarly for /usr/shlib.

I suspect either a memory problem (how to test it ?) or a corruption
of the system shared libraries.

Does anybody have any clue ?

PS

I also tried an ls -l -t -u on /usr/shlib. I'm not sure on the meaning of the
-u flag (I usually use just -t), and I'm getting all (no, not all, most)
files at the CURRENT time, including some libraries with names strange to me.
Also some libraries are owned by root.system, other by bin.bin, the Fortran
ones by root.89. Is this normal ?
Does anybody have a map of the "normal" content of /usr/shlib ?