DEC Alpha to become Intel Alpha?

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 13:21:07 -0700

Does anyone have any inside scoop on this story? Is DEC really going to
sell the Alpha technology to Intel? If this is true, I don't think it
will signal the end of the line for Alpha, but rather end of the line
for DEC.

I'm about to rant, so skip the rest if you don't want to hear it...

I watched in the last couple years DEC selling off some great
technologies as soon as they started to show promise: The SCSI disk
business and the DLT. Now, it looks like DEC is about to sell off the
one piece of family jewel that makes it stand out: the Alpha processor.
Can anyone explain the reasoning?

eyc