High "sys" time in monitor

From: Mark M. Van Overbeke <markvo_at_CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:05:26 -0500 (CDT)

DU Folks,

System specs:
AlphaStation 500/500
Digital Unix 4.0B + first jumbo (no time to research 2nd jumbo yet)
DE500-BA
KZPAA-AA
1GB memory

Every so often, once or twice a day it seems, the system will go off into
its own world and everything becomes real slow. With the "monitor" program,
I see that "sys" time for the CPU goes up to 96+ and stays there and idle
time goes to zero. The load average also starts to climb. The norms here
seem to be idle time in the 90s, sys time below 10 and the load average well
below 0.50. Being an educational institution with limited funds, we are
running this machine as a multiuser system. Normally I have seen the above
stuff happen with 60 or more users. I saw it today with less than 40.
Normally this machine handles the load quite well. I had the network
connection going through the DE500-BA for the 100BaseTX. Thinking that
maybe that was the problem, after seeing other messages about the DE500-BA
and DU4.0B, I thought I would go back to the built in ethernet interface.
Today's episode(s) occurred with the 10BaseT interface. I have also seen
with monitor that when I "magnify" the CPU field, the device interrupts when
things are running nicely were usually below 100. When the system started
to bind up, the device interrupts usually didn't go below 100, although this
may have little or nothing to do with the system going to a high "sys" CPU
utilization. Has anyone else seen anything like this or have any clues as
to what might be causing this? uerf shows no errors. There is no swapping
activity. "Top" does not show any process running away.

    Mark

Mark Van Overbeke Sr. Systems Software Programmer
Computing Services
600 East 4th Street
University of Minnesota, Morris e-mail: markvo_at_cda.mrs.umn.edu
Morris, MN 56267 Phone: 1-320-589-6378
--
Success is the progressive realization of your worthwhile goal or dream!