SUMMARY: 'last' command for X-Sessions

From: <Rene.Landert_at_GD.srg-ssr.ch>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:44:53 +0100

Thanks to the following for taking the time to respond:

Dr. Thomas P. Blinn tpb_at_zk3.dec.com
Jim Belonis belonis_at_phys.washington.edu
Lucio Chiappetti lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it

My Question was:

> I know that with the 'last' command I can get the login times of the users
> who logged on with a telnet command. How can I get the information out
> of the system when a user started a session or application (like dxterm)
> and from which workstation?

The answers suggest to enable accounting or auditing and keep the raw
accounting files and use 'acctcom' (I think) to look at the
/usr/adm/pacct*
files. Auditing is an option; you can turn it on, but you will get a lot
of data
logged to files and you need to run some user level utilities to extract
the details.

There is more information on this in the system management guide.

thanks again for all the responses, especially to Dr. Thomas P. Blinn
from DEC.

Rene