Unverified Mail Question

From: Debby Quayle <dquayle_at_hamilton.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:09:12 -0400

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to have sendmail and/or its associated programs check for
unverified mail and *not* send it? We're having a problem on campus with
students spoofing their settings in Eudora and then mailing messages to the
entire student body. The messages are clearly identified as *unverified*,
but because students have only recently discovered that they can do this,
people are up in arms. *sigh*. Elimination of the mass mailing lists is
not an option.

Here is our setup:

Alpha 1000, DU 4.0b (not yet patched)

Sendmail 8.8.6 (There is some question as to whether our sendmail.cf was
rebuilt after upgrading from the DU distribution version of sendmail...our
consultant thinks not.)

QPOP version 2.3

Also, if there is a way to examine each header file before the mail is
processed, how much overhead should I expect this to add to my system?

Debby
Debbora (Debby) Bartel Quayle
Asst. Dir.ITS, Technical Support Services/
               Help Desk & E-mail Administration
Information Technology Services Department
Hamilton College (315) 859-4031 dquayle_at_hamilton.edu