Real Time Kernel and SMP + bugs

From: stephen white <steve_at_adam.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:27:03 +0930 (CST)

After several conversations with Michael Resnicow of Encore Corporation,
some issues require verification. Is the microsecond time reliable on the
4100 SMP? Steve Keebler of Encore claims to have written a bug report to
Digital technical support pertaining a kernel panic due to the
implementation of microtime on SMP which involves cross processor
interrupts. Apparently, the microtime functionality performs random
division by zero which causes the kernel panic. Are there any limitations
of the microsecond time functionality with Digital UNIX 4.0?

We need to utilize memory-locking and process priority for real-time
applications. We can utilize these mechanisms by supplying root privilege
to developers, which is a cause for concern from a security point of view.
Is there any way to utilize these and similar real-time features without
supplying root privilege to developers?

How may I gain access to bug reports against Digital UNIX 4.0? I would
like to know about any reported problems and monitor progress as they are
resolved.

--
  steve_at_adam.com.au