[S] Client install of SQLnet for DU?

From: Tom Webster <webster_at_ssdpdc.lgb.cal.boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:47:51 -0700

Hi,

Here is a late summary on my quest to find a light-weight SQLnet installation
for DU. Here is my original question:

----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip -----
I'm trying to get SQLnet installed on my AS255 (DU 4.0B), mostly to
mess around with perl's oracle database connectivity tools. When my
DBA went to install SQLnet on my system from the Oracle 8 CDROM, we
ended up having to abort the install after it had loaded 120MB of files
onto my now full /usr/local partition.

Windows NT supports a 'Client' install of SQLnet that uses about 10mb.
As such, I find it a little hard to believe that Oracle expects everyone
who wants to run a SQLnet dependent client application to have ~150mb
of free disk space just for a protocol.

My question is, does anybody know what the Oracle part number for a
SQLnet client installer for DU is? It doesn't have to be NET8, SQLnet 2.x
would be fine too. My DBA hasn't been able to locate the number yet,
and I thought someone on the list may have already gone through this.
----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip ----- snip -----

Thanks to:

Steve Walling <STEVEW_at_sodak-gaming.com>
Karen Byrd <BYRD_at_mscf.med.upenn.edu>

Who both suggested that SQLnet shouldn't be that big of a pig. As it
turns out, it looks like Oracle 8's SQLnet install is that big of a pig
(at least off of the server install media).

My DBA did some hunting and came back with the conclusion that the SQLnet
install off of the Developer/2000 client CDROM tended to be small and clean.
Developer/2000, version 1.3.2 (PN#A51143-01), installed version 2.3.2.1.0 of
the SQLnet tools and TCP/IP protocol adapter as well as SQL*Plus 3.2.2.0 in
about 28mb. It isn't NET8, but then again it isn't 150mb either.

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                       |  "Funny, I've never seen it     |