How to stop a spam attack?

From: Debby Quayle <dquayle_at_hamilton.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:23:29 -0400

Oh Please Help!!

I came in this morning to find that someone is using our mail server to
send out a piece of spam. I thought we were clamped down pretty well but
evidently not well enough. Now my question is: How do I stop it!?

I've been watching the mailq like a hawk and I keep killing the spam job
but it has reappeared three times now. All root and su user passwords were
changed immediately (there are only 2 of us). My hosts file only lists my
Alpha plus the DNS server.

Any other advice would *really* be appreciated. I'll go nuts trying to
kill this job all day today.

Alpha 1000 running Sendmail 8.8.6 on DU4.0b (not patched)

Thanks in advance!!!

Debby

Debbora (Debby) Bartel Quayle
Asst. Dir.ITS, Technical Support Services/
               Help Desk & E-mail Administration
Information Technology Services Department
Hamilton College (315) 859-4031 dquayle_at_hamilton.edu