Q: network "jamming"

From: Guy Dallaire <gdallaire_at_gustave.revenu.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:41:00 -0500 (EST)

Some of our users are experiencing various problems when they connect to
one of our DU 4.x servers, be it by means of telnet, oracle sqlnet or
X-Windows.

They don't have problems connecting with telnet, but as soon as they type a
command that have the effect of transferring a substantial amount of data
between the machines (eg.: issuing an 'ls -al' command at the prompt or
fetching rows from a database across the network) they eperience that kinf
of behavior:

- ls command hangs there (doesn't seem to time out after a while)
- Connection reset by peer (When you try to connect with dtlogin, the
screen is blkank and after a while (15-20 minutes), you get that kind of
message)
- Connection refused by server (Even with xhost + in effect)
- Not connected to a database (disconnection)

These problem started occuring after the staff here (we have no su
privileges) installed some patches to DU 4.x (We don't know what they
installed)

My questions:

a) Are the patch installations via setld "reversible" ?
b) Did anyone encounter networking problems after installing DU 4.x jumbo
patches ?

Thanks !