[SUMMARY} site eval question

From: Jonathan Earle <jearle_at_dmcs.dnd.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:11:50 -0500

<EXT:PLAINTEXT_OK>

Within 24hrs of posting to this list, I received 7 replies in my inbox
(another just arrived now!). Many thanks to all who responded - your help
has been invaluable!

I was looking for pointers to tools and documentation to allow me (the
uninitiated DUnix admin-type) to perform a site survey of 2 v3.2g boxes and
2 v4.0a boxes.

Here are the tips and pointers I received:

<Received from huehlsm_at_INDY.NAVY.MIL at MAC label EXTERNAL>
hardware: look at /var/adm/messages, you will see all of the hardware in
there or at the SRM prompt do a show dev.
software: setld -i will list an inventory of the software subsets
installed on your computer....
<Received from SMullin_at_gecits.GE.com at MAC label EXTERNAL>
Get the UniCensus kit from digital's service.digital.com site under ,
I think,
the online_services--> Edex toolkit page. It auto docs your systems and
the output is in HTML. Presents warnings and will Email a copy to
Digital support if you want.
(It is a customer friendly wrapper for Sys_Check)

Impress your new boss...

I can tar up my kit for you if you can't find it.

-Stephen (I wrote UniCensus and allot of Sys_Check while at Digital)

NOTE: Stephen was kind enough to send the kit over to me as I was unable to
retrieve part of it over the net. Thanks Stephen!
<Received from avillagra_at_gmd.com.pe at MAC label EXTERNAL>
Hi:
I recommend you to check:
the users file, group file those for accounting.
The files are /etc/passwd, and /etc/group

The aliases file for mail grouping
The file is: /var/adm/sendmail/aliases

The files for networking:
The files are: /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.equiv

Also, check the man pages on-line for help on this files.
<Received from root_at_tigger.oslc.org at MAC label EXTERNAL>
setld -i > subset.lst
will give you a handy list of all the digital software and it's status.
Jon,
  Log in as root on each one and run the command:
        setld -l > list
That will dump the list of Digital subsets to a file 'list', which you can
then print out and use to look at. You can narrow the list down by
filtering the output through grep "INSTALL" to just get installed software.

NOTE: I suspect the author meant 'setld -i' as the '-l' parameter allows
<Received from belonis_at_dirac.phys.washington.edu at MAC label EXTERNAL>
Software inventory by

setld -i

But that only shows official DEC products installed with setld.
If people installed random public-domain stuff and even some
commercial stuff, it would not be recorded there.
Just look around. Especially in /usr/local and /opt

Hardware inventory by looking at the first few messages in
uerf
after a boot. Or looking at the screen during a boot
or look at /etc/messages after a boot.
Some more info at the monitor prompt
>>> SHOW CONFIG
>>> SHOW DEVICE
<Received from mmokrejs_at_prfdec.natur.cuni.cz at MAC label EXTERNAL>
http://www.pdc.kth.se/doc/osf/osf40/HTML/AA-Q0R2D-TET1_html/TOC.html

NOTE: This is a link to a lengthy OSF guide - chock full of good
information! My brain could spend hours here!
<Received from SUSROD_at_HBSI.COM at MAC label EXTERNAL>
For software:

The lmf utiity keeps a database of software licenses installed on each
system. I don't think this utility changes much between 3.2g and 4.0a.
Each license listed with "lmf list" should have a corresponding black
and white "license pak" certificate somewhere among your records. Good
luck sorting those out; I found the actual paper licenses to be very
confusing.

sparky:root# lmf list

Product Status Users:
Total Active

OSF-BASE active
unlimited
OSF-BASE active, multiple
unlimited

#lmf list full cache - will give a long version for each
product.

Hardware -

You can see each installed hardware device with

#uerf -R full | more

Scroll through and look for an entry for SYSTEM STARTUP. It will logs
through all the hardware recognized at boot. When we did all our
inventories, we needed serial numbers, so we downed the server and
pulled out the cards. The disadvantage to that was getting everything
reseated correctly in the slots. A couple of machines were VERY finicky
about how the memory cards were seated.

You might find more information at ftp://ftp.digital.com/Digital/Alpha.

---
Jonathan Earle
Technical Architect
HUB Computer Consulting Inc.
Pager: (613)751-4948
Email: jearle_at_hubcc.ca
       "You can never burn out as long as you're doing what you enjoy.
When it stops being fun, then you burn out.  And I'm still having fun."
                                                               - jms