MDA 4 pointing to spop??

From: Debby Quayle <dquayle_at_hamilton.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 15:47:56 -0400

Hi managers,

Alpha 1000, 4.0b -- Sendmail 8.8.6 and Qpop 2.3

Two quick questions:

1) Whenever we reboot our system, the following world read-writeable
directory and file appear in /tmp. Is this something I should be concerned
with? I usually remove these without any ill effect. None of our users
have terminals since our Alpha is only used for E-mail.

drwxrwxrwt 2 root daemon 512 Nov 3 04:45 .X11-unix
   (This directory contains the following file)
        srwxrwxrwx 1 root daemon 0 Nov 3 04:45 X0

2) Sendmail 8.8.6, and Popper 2.3 were recently installed (as upgrades) on
our system (not by me). Now when I run the mailstats program that comes
with Sendmail it returns the following:

Statistics from Sat Nov 1 00:00:01 1997
 M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to
 0 0 0K 11 15K
 1 0 0K 7 17K
 3 1964 121011K 4391 74598K
 5 4 16K 0 0K
 6 3457 15781K 1471 61414K

This looks OK except that when I run "sendmail -bt" and ask for =M, it
tells me that mail delivery agent (MDA) 4 should be "pop". Since the
majority of our users get their mail with Eudora (using pop3), I was
shocked at the lack of statistics for pop. The definition for MDA 4 points
to some file called /usr/lib/mh/spop. The "spop" file is dated Nov. 15,
1996 which seems old to me for Popper 2.3 (but, hey! What do I know?). My
sendmail.cf says that MDA 3 is "local" and 6 is "smtp". I think those are
normal, but I suspect that my sendmail.cf is not configured correctly for
popper. Does this make any sense? Any sendmail gurus out there who'd be
willing to help me out? I mainly need to know if a rebuild of my
sendmail.cf will correct this. The consultant who did the istallation is
scheduled to return later this month.

Thanks a bunch,

Debby

Debbora (Debby) Bartel Quayle
Asst. Dir.ITS, Technical Support Services/
               Help Desk & E-mail Administration
Information Technology Services Department
Hamilton College (315) 859-4031 dquayle_at_hamilton.edu