root account missing

From: Johan M Erlank <j_erlank_at_sames.co.za>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 09:13:28 +0200

Hi managers.

Crisis time. The root account disappeared out of the /etc/passwd file, thus
leaving my Alpha without a root account. I'm running DU3.2C with standard
security, i.e. no shadow password files. No user has write permissions in
/etc, so I cannot just add in user "root". What do I have to do to get my
root account recreated? (Short of rebuilding the system)

Rgds,

Johan Erlank

|| Johan Erlank |Telephone number|Internet: j_erlank_at_sames.co.za ||
|| MIS Dept. |+27+12 333-6021 |URL: http://www.sames.co.za/ ||
|| SAMES (Pty) Ltd | 012 333-6021 | ||