Performance Problems DU 4.0b + Oracle 7.3.3

From: Gunther Feuereisen <gunther_at_ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 12:40:19 +0800

Hi,

We're currently working on development of a new system, and I've just noticed
a performance problems; the CPU utilisation seems to be constantly around
or over
50% for system related requests ..

What I have:

2 x Alpha 4000's 5/300 512 MB RAM in a DECsafe configuration

Local storage on each machine, 4 MB RAID 1 (2x rz29b on SWXCR)
Shared storage, 3 x rz29b, each mirrored onto another drive on a second bus
using LSM.
i.e. rz17 <-> rz25, rz18 <-> rz26 and rz19 <-> rz27
Disks are on BA35X shelves going to KZPSA's using DWZZB's

I'm using AdvFS for fast crash recovery etc.

On my shared storage, each LSM mirror is a separate fileset, in it's own
filedomain.

I am running Oracle 7.3.3

I have looked at resource utilisation:

approx 280 MB RAM is free
swap has 80% free
I/O across drives is sporadic, with bursts of up to 300 kbps (at the
worst), but on
average, bursts of about 30-60 kbps.
volstat reports occaisional I/O consistent with the above.

I've checked uerf/dia, and there are no errors etc.

Tools I've used; iostat, vmstat, swapon, monitor, volstat, uerf

And yet, performance is sluggy, with the system utilising a constant 50-60%
CPU ..

Anyone have ideas? I can't see it .. is it something obvious I am just not
seeing?

thanks in advance,
gunther