AS 2100 CPU Upgrade

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:32:02 -0500

I'm planning to upgrade an AlphaServer 4/233 to a 5/250, running Digital
UNIX 4.0b.

According to Digital's documentation (EK-KN470-IN. B01), Step 11 says this:

"Digital UNIX systems: You will need to rebuild the kernel...After you
rebuild the kernel, you can boot the operating system."

My question is this:

Will I be able to boot from the existing /vmunix after the CPU upgrade,
even though it was built using the EV 4 CPU?

If not, can I boot from the existing /genvmunix? (I assume is the same as
the one that comes from the 4.0B distribution CD.)

And, failing that, how does one do this without re-installing the OS.